Tai Chi Qigong with Longwater Tai Chi
Welcome to our website, dedicated to a popular exercise set we have developed and known in our classes as 'Waves & Clouds' - now called Tai Chi Qigong.
"I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed my first class this week. I felt so at peace with myself afterwards and this lasted all day"
- Sue, Wilton
What it is
"Tai Chi Qigong" is based on the very popular 18 move Tai Chi Qigong Shibashi set. We have adapted the movements to include a soft, flowing style that allows you to follow the seasons, and visualise the natural rythms of sea and sky as you exercise. We also have included aspects of internal qigong (subtle energy work, pronouced chee-gong) that we have studied for over 25 years. These include breath, spinal support, upper-lower body connection and opening or 'loosening' of the bodys joints.
The movements are performed with music and are relaxing and easy to follow. In our evening classes some of the movements are taught with a focus on being a useful foundation for learning a tai chi form with us.
- It is a weight-bearing exercise that can have benefits to bones and balance.
- Tai Chi movement improves muscle strength, coordination and flexibility, helping to reduce risk of falls, especially in elderly people.
- Tai Chi helps reduce joint and back pain and stiffness (e.g. arthritis).
- Better body posture is developed, which can improve confidence and encourage a positive outlook.
- Stress reduction benefits are experienced through relaxation and meditative focus, and overall wellbeing is thus improved.
- Tai Chi and Qigong classes encourage positive socialising, and are suitable for all ages and abilities. Many exercises can be done sitting, with no requirements for floor work.